Community Lawyering Job in Milwaukee
Position Opening for an Environmental Lawyer in Milwaukee
Midwest Environmental Advocates is a nonprofit environmental law center that provides legal services to community groups that are working for clean air, clean water, and a clean government. With offices in Madison and Milwaukee, we are a small, dynamic organization that tackles major environmental justice issues.
We are committed to a community lawyering approach, which involves partnership with and the provision of technical and legal assistance to community-based organizations and coalitions. By combining community organizing, education and legal and technical assistance, Midwest Environmental Advocates and its clients successfully protect the environment. Attorneys are engaged in all phases of advocacy, litigation, client counseling, and community organizing.
Midwest Environmental Advocates seeks a smart self-starter to complement its successful environmental law practice. Applicants must have excellent legal research and writing skills with experience drafting pleadings, discovery and briefs. The Staff Attorney will work with the entire Midwest Environmental Advocates’ team, but will be building our Milwaukee office. He or she will be involved in all aspects of environmental justice lawyering in low income communities in Milwaukee, developing public policy with a particular emphasis on restoring the waters running through the Greater Milwaukee Basin, working with interdisciplinary teams, litigating, and supervising students. Applicant should understand and enjoy public policy strategic advocacy that involves media, legislative, policy analysis and organizing conducted in conjunction with effective legal advocacy. Successful applicants will show creativity and innovation in their demonstrated commitment to public interest advocacy.
* Licensed to practice in WI, or ability to become licensed by March 2010;
* A minimum of two years of experience practicing environmental and water law;
* Strong litigation skills, including pre-trial preparation, brief writing, oral advocacy and trials, and settlement negotiations showing a track record of success;
* Excellent writing, analytic and public speaking skills;
* Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team in a fast-paced environment;
* Excellent academic credentials;
* Experience in community organizing, client counseling, or working with marginalized communities a plus;
* Fluency in Spanish is helpful.
This is a full-time position that requires time flexibility due to erratic advocacy schedules.
Compensation: Salary competitive with nonprofit market, generous health, retirement, and vacation/holiday benefits, and a great work environment.
Application Deadline: By January 15, 2010, mail or email resumé, cover letter, short writing sample, and three references to:
Midwest Environmental Advocates, Inc. 551 W. Main St., Suite 200
Madison, WI 53703
MEA is an equal opportunity employer.
We strongly encourage women and people of color to apply.
Posted: December 16, 2009